Owner file

Flint residents get extension to file bad water claims

FLINT, Mich. (AP) — A judge granted a seven-week extension Monday to file claims for a share of Flint’s $626 million lead-tainted water settlement.

U.S. District Judge Judith Levy approved a request to extend the deadline from May 12 to June 30.

“While it’s clear that everyone involved is working diligently to compile the information and documentation needed to support claims, some claimants have experienced delays or difficulties in obtaining certain required documents,” Levy said, citing a summary by special master Deborah Greenspan.

Greenspan said the claims administrator received about 13,000 claims last week.


The State of Michigan, Flint and other parties were sued for failing to properly treat corrosive water from the Flint River before it flowed through pipes in 2014-2015, releasing lead along the way .

The state pays $600 million of the settlement. Flint residents and owners are expected to earn more than $400 million when legal fees are subtracted from the $626 million settlement.

The settlement covers children in Flint who have been exposed to water, adults who may show injury, certain business owners and anyone who has paid water bills. About 80% of the deal is for children.

There is no safe lead level. It can harm a child’s brain development and cause attention and behavior problems.

Flint returned to a Detroit regional water agency in the fall of 2015 after Dr. Mona Hanna-Attisha announced high lead levels in children.