Owner file

USDA Reminds Farmers to File Crop Acreage Reports

Farmers who have not yet completed their acreage reports after planting must make an appointment with their local Farm Service Agency (FSA) service center before the applicable deadline. July 15 is an important deadline for most crops, but acreage reporting deadlines vary by county and crop. Farmers should make appointments as early as possible to avoid missing earlier deadlines.

“To be eligible for many of our programs, including disaster assistance, you will need an acreage report on file,” said FSA Administrator Zach Ducheneaux. “To ensure you can benefit from our many programs, including disaster assistance, be sure to call your local FSA office to make an appointment to report your acreage. As a reminder, forage perennial is eligible for continuous acreage reporting, which allows growers to report their acreage once and maintain their certification until they make a change.

Continuous acreage reporting offers an opportunity to significantly streamline farmers’ requests for assistance, Ducheneaux noted.

“With prolonged drought conditions in the Great Plains and western United States, growers who had previously filed a Continuous Acreage Report benefited from a streamlined application process for disaster programs like the Livestock Drilling Disaster Program. I encourage producers to continue to take advantage of this tool and simplify their ability to request assistance,” he said.

An acreage report documents a crop grown on a farm or ranch and its intended uses. Filing an accurate and timely acreage report for all crops and land uses, including unplanted acreage and prevented planted acreage, can prevent loss of program benefits.

How to file a report
Farmers can contact their FSA at their local USDA Service Center for acreage reporting deadlines specific to their county.

To file an Acreage Report, farmers must provide:

  • Crop and type or variety of crop.
  • Intended use of the culture.
  • Number of acres of crop.
  • Map with approximate cultivation boundaries.
  • Planting date(s).
  • Planting scheme, if applicable.
  • Producer actions.
  • Irrigation practice(s).
  • Area prohibited from planting, if applicable.
  • Other information as needed.

Area Report Details
The following exceptions apply to acreage reporting dates:

  • If the crop has not been planted on the date of declaration of the area, it must be declared no later than 15 calendar days after the end of planting.
  • If a farmer acquires additional acreage after the acreage reporting date, the acreage must be reported no later than 30 calendar days after purchase or lease acquisition. Proper documentation must be provided to the county office.
  • If crops are covered by the Uninsured Agricultural Disaster Assistance program, acreage reports must be submitted by the applicable state, county, or crop reporting deadline or 15 calendar days before. the start of grazing or harvesting the crop.

Farmers must also declare the area of ​​crops they intended to plant but were unable to due to a natural disaster.

Prevented planting acreage must be reported on Form CCC-576, Notice of Loss, no later than 15 calendar days after the final planting date established by the FSA and USDA Risk Management Agency (RMA) .

FSA offers continuous certification for perennial forages. This means that once perennial forage has been declared once and the producer has chosen continuing certification, the certification remains in effect until a change is made. Check with the FSA at the local USDA service center for more information on continuing certification.

New option to view, print, and label maps on farmers.gov
Farmers with an eAuth account linked to their USDA client record can now access their FSA farm records, maps, and common land units by logging in to farmers.gov. A new feature will allow farmers to export field boundaries as shapefiles and import and view other shapefiles, such as precision farming boundaries. This will allow farmers to view, print and label their own maps for acreage reporting purposes.

Farmers who have authority to act on behalf of another customer as a beneficiary through Form FSA-211 Power of Attorney, Trading Partner Signing Authority, as well as other types of signatures, or as a member of a business can now access information on the Farmers.gov portal.

Farmers can learn how to use the Farmers.gov Farm Records Mapping feature with this fact sheet and these video tutorials.

More information
Farmers can make an appointment to report acreage by contacting their USDA Service Center.